Top features of IOS 15
The release of iOS 15 brought significant changes for the users of iPhone 6S and above. While there are many top features for iOS 15 worth mentioning, I would say that the general intent is to boost productivity, privacy, and connectivity.
At first glance, iPhone users may not notice what has changed. But if you dig deeper, you will see plenty of changes that make iOS 15 a substantial release.
Let’s have a look at some top features for iOS 15.
Here is what you can do.
- Unlock your iPhone with a face mask on
- Share your screen in FaceTime with SharePlay
- Let users join a FaceTime call
- Copy text from photos
- Filter your notifications with Focus
- Drag and drop between apps
- Use tab groups in Safari
- Find out how your apps are using your info
- Change the size of the text
- Get AR walking directions in Maps
- Have the Safari address bar at the top
Unlock your iPhone with a face mask on
The Coronavirus pandemic brought a new reality and wearing masks has become not only a legal requirement in some places but a matter of personal safety. The biggest frustration for people was to use your pin to unlock their iPhones if you are wearing a mask. While the pandemic is slowing down, and I would say this feature is a little bit delayed, it may still be useful to have it activated on your iPhone.
Here is what to do. Go to:
- Settings > Face ID & Passcode
- Enter your passcode.
- You will then see some new options including Face ID with Mask — turn it on.
Share your screen in FaceTime with SharePlay
It’s fun to watch a movie with a friend on FaceTime. Let’s see how.
- Open the controls, then tap Share My Screen.
- Now you need to open the app you want to share in the call.
Let users join a FaceTime call
FaceTime is a perfect way of video chat. With the release of iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and macOS 12 Monterey, anyone can easily join a FaceTime call. Here is what to do.
Someone needs to send you a link and you should click this link. The person with the Apple device should have at least iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and macOS 12 Monterey. You just need to open the link in your Android or PC’s web browser.
To create the link, the Apple user should open the FaceTime app and select Create Link. Then he can choose how they want to share the link.
Copy text from photos
With the update to iOS 15 and IPadOS 15, stretching live text is now built into Apple’s mobile operating system.
Press down on the text to copy with your finger then stretch the whole text you want to copy. Press “copy” and “paste” wherever you want.
Filter your notifications with Focus
iOS 15 comes with a list of profiles that anticipate your daily routines. These are called Focuses like Do Not Disturb, Sleep, Work, etc. Here is what to do to configure a focus.
Open the Control Center and tap Focus. You can do the same from Settings.
Choose a Focus you want to select. Tap on Allow x People when ready.
You can also choose Time Sensitive notifications.
Drag and drop between apps
With iOS 15 you can drag and drop to quickly send a link via text message or add a photo attachment to an email.
- Open the Photos app.
- Press and hold your finger down on a photo or video, until the quick action menu appears, and then move your finger around so that it floats under your finger.
- While holding your figure, open the second app with another hand.
- Once in the second app, simply let go of your finger. You can see a green plus sign on the corner of the photo or a video. You need to drop it off there.
Use tab groups in Safari
With iOS 15 you can use tab groups in Safari. Here is what to do:
1. Launch Safari and tap the Open Tabs button in the bottom right corner of the screen.
2. Tap or long-press the middle of the tab bar at the bottom of the screen.
3. Select New Empty Tab Group. Or, select New Tab Group from X Tabs.
4. Enter an identifying name for your Tab Group, then tap Save.
Find out how your apps are using your info
There is a danger that apps may access your smartphone and camera to spy on you. For example, they may collect data to serve you targeted ads. To stop this, you can decide to give permission to certain apps or deny that permission.
On Android, you should go to Settings>Apps @ Notifications>Advanced>Permission Manager. You can select the category and allow or deny permission for a certain app.
On iOS, go to Settings > Privacy > select Microphone or Camera, depending on which you’d like to check up on > toggle permission on/off for certain apps.
Change the size of the text
In iOS 15, you can change the text size for your apps.
- Open the app that you want to configure.
- Go to Control Center.
- Tap the “Text Size” icon.
- Move the toggle at the bottom of the screen to the left.
- Now you can set the text size for that app.
Get AR walking directions in Maps
In iOS 15, you can use augmented reality to walk around. This feature allows more than what Siri can do.
1. You need to pick your route and hold the phone up in front of you.
2. Tap the AR cube-like button.
3. Now all you need is to follow the prompts.
Have the Safari address bar at the top
In iOS 15, you can move the Safari address bar back to the top:
- Click on the icon with the two A’s that are next to the URL.
- Tap the option to “Show Top Address Bar” in the Setting menu.
Alternatively, you can
- Open the Settings section on your iPhone with iOS 15.
- Find Safari and tap on it.
- Tap “Single Tab” in the “Tabs” section.
As you can see iOS 15 has made the life of users even easier. If you use some or all of these features, your experience will be much more enjoyable. If you need some more help, don’t forget to contact Addevice! We are here to help you create virtual assistant apps like Siri and build apps with top iOS programming languages.